LONDON, UK October 10, 2013 – FedEx Express, a subsidiary of FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX), announced today that it is beginning construction on a new state-of-the-art temperature controlled facility and heavyweight pickup and delivery operation at the FedEx Express World Hub in Memphis, TN. The 88,000 square-foot facility will interface directly with Memphis hub operations, providing greater efficiency for shipments transiting the FedEx Express network, as well as enhanced handling of customers’ cold chain shipments.
“At FedEx, we offer an outstanding customer experience for those shipping time and temperature-sensitive goods,” said Richard W. Smith, managing director, FedEx Express Life Sciences and Specialty Services. “With our new, world-class cold chain facility, we will be able to better manage healthcare products and other perishables in the event of unforeseen delays, such as clearance holds or inclement weather, and give our customers the peace of mind they deserve when shipping sensitive goods.”
The new facility, which is scheduled to be complete and in operation by the Fall of 2014, offers several unique features that will give cold chain shippers added confidence that their shipments will remain within their intended temperature range in the event of delays. Facility features include:
· Temperature-controlled rooms for -25°C to -10°C (frozen), 2°C to 8°C (cold) and 15°C to 25°C (controlled room temperature) products
· Cutting-edge technology, including flexible walls that allow precise temperature control and segregation of commodities; and real-time CO2, Humidity and Temperature monitoring
· An on-site International Dock Agent (IDA) station where dedicated personnel will monitor cold chain rooms
· A staging area for shipments using the FedEx Thermal Blanket solution, designed to maintain controlled room temperature requirements during transit
· Dry ice replenishment and gel pack exchange capabilities
· Compliant with the European Union’s Transported Asset Protection Association (TAPA) requirements
As a leader in cold chain logistics, FedEx offers a full portfolio of refrigerated, frozen and perishable shipping solutions designed to maintain specified temperature ranges throughout the shipping process. The company has performed extensive aircraft thermal mapping studies that help it maintain the quality and safety of products in flight. The features of the new building will promote more precise temperature control of shipments once they leave the aircraft and travel through the Memphis hub, allowing FedEx to move perishable commodities and healthcare products in a safer, even more precise temperature-controlled environment.
The new FedEx Express cold chain facility is being designed and constructed by Indiana based engineering and architectural firm MSKTD and Associates, Inc. It will be located in Memphis, TN at 2617 Democrat Road, adjacent to the FedEx Express World Hub.
To learn more about FedEx cold chain solutions, visit http://www.fedex.com/us/healthcare/.